IKEA has already toyed around with Augmented Reality as part of its 2013 catalogue. It’s original venture into AR provided readers of the catalogue with additional content on their smartphone / tablet when they scanned the product pages.
This year the concept graduates to a whole new level. The process is simple:
- Download the latest application for Android or iOS
- Scan the product you’re interested in from the catalogue
- Toss the actual (analog) catalogue in the room where you want the product placed
- Use your smartphone / tablet in conjunction with the catalogue (presumably now doubling as an AR marker) and presto
- You can see the item you selected embedded in its – potential – future surroundings
Not sure what technology they have used but if you’re interested in the concept and want to quickly try something similar yourself take a look at what the guys at Aurasma are doing.